The Henrico Education Foundation, Inc. (HEF) is seeking an enthusiastic fundraising professional who believes strong schools make strong communities. HEF’s mission is to strengthen public education by advancing innovative programs and initiatives designed to improve student achievement. Through a dynamic public-private partnership with Henrico County Public Schools (HCPS) – the sixth largest school division in the Commonwealth and 117th largest in the nation, HEF serves more than 51,000 students in 72 educational facilities. Since its formation, HEF has provided $5.3 million in direct funding affecting more than 560,000 students, teachers and parents across Henrico County. HEF funds creative instructional approaches with strong academic goals that directly address the opportunity gap and provides resources for teachers to support the most challenged schools. HEF’s unique role is vital to meeting the educational needs of our community’s children while providing partnership opportunities for businesses, community leaders and citizens to directly impact public schools.
HEF’s work in support of HCPS is more important than ever as principals and teachers look for new instructional strategies and approaches to strengthen public schools and ignite student learning. HEF’s three strategic priorities are: 1) serving as a catalyst for innovation in HCPS; 2) preparing students K-12 for success in college, career and community; and 3) strengthening educational leadership. HEF’s annual budget has grown from $400,000 in 2014 to $3 million in 2019.
The Development Manager will work with the Chief Development Officer to foster a culture of philanthropy and assist with advancing the mission of HEF by providing excellent, energetic fundraising and social media presence for the organization. The position is responsible for the administrative operations of the development department and will support the implementation of the organization’s tactical plan for fundraising. This includes the annual campaign, special events, social media presence, marketing efforts and branding campaigns. In addition, the position will assist with coordinating strategies to develop donors and manage contributions, grants and other funding sources to support the organization. The position requires a creative thinker who can work both independently and on a team as well as manage multiple tasks. This position reports directly to the Chief Development Officer.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the Chief Development Officer with managing the organization’s philanthropic efforts that include communications, website and social media platforms;
- Oversee and coordinate the annual campaign, the HCPS staff campaign and assist with all other fundraising campaigns including the planning and execution of special events;
- Make direct solicitations and assist the Chief Development Officer, Chief Executive Officer, other HEF staff and board members with their solicitations and donor cultivation;
- Lead research of major donors, prospect profiles and preparing reports in an effort to maintain a robust donor database;
- Draft compelling letters for various campaigns including annual giving campaign and HCPS staff campaign;
- Serve as primary point person for updating, adding, and maintaining all donor and prospect constituent records into HEF’s donor system;
- Serves as primary point person for maintaining HEF social media pages, newsletters and online giving platforms to ensure consistent philanthropic messaging to all key constituencies and working with the webmaster to ensure updates to the HEF website;
- Create publicity and organize registration for HEF events and PR initiatives;
- Support the execution of the strategic plan as it relates to development;
- Assist with submission and completion of grant applications to funders;
- Identify new opportunities for in-kind support and partnerships;
- Record donations, pledge payments etc. in HEF donor system and process all acknowledgements for events and foundation programs within deadlines;
- Generate receipts and donor acknowledgements for all contributions within three business days of receipt;
- Generate monthly pledge reminders and provide monthly reports on donations and aging pledges to the Chief Development Officer;
- Assist with preparing donor lists, fundraising materials and provide analysis and reporting for fundraising campaigns and other fundraising efforts;
- Maintain highly organized filing system – including but not limited to: donors, granting agencies, business contracts, and other key business records;
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Associate or bachelor’s degree required;
- A minimum of two years of fundraising experience in an administrative or supporting role;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Ability to write clear, compelling narrative for materials;
- Experience with data management programs;
- Strong analytical skills, with capacity to self-motivate and work independently;
- Self-directed learner;
- Excellent computer skills related to the use of Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.;
- Ability to work nights and weekends on occasion as required;
- Must have a keen eye for detail, accuracy and consistency;
- Possess excellent organization and multi-tasking skills;
- Must be able to recognize confidential information and maintain confidentiality;
- Must possess strong interpersonal skills including decision making and problem-solving abilities;
- Experience working with volunteers a plus.
- Job Type: Full Time – 40 hours per week.
- Reports to: Chief Development Officer.
- Salary: Competitive, commensurate with experience and other qualifications.
- Benefits: Medical, Dental and 403B Retirement plan.
- Job Location: Henrico County, VA .
- The Foundation is a separate 501(C)3 entity from Henrico County Public Schools and does not follow the district’s summer hours.
To apply for this position, please email resume and cover letter to: Jay Shively, Chief Development Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org