Since the COVID school closure in March, HEF has provided funding for HCPS teachers, students and their families. This has included food and basic necessities for Henrico’s most vulnerable students, and WiFi hotspots for students and teachers without internet access. This support has expanded to include virtual summer camps for nearly 100 disadvantaged students with packets delivered to students’ homes including all resources needed for virtual lessons. HEF’s Learning & Discovery program offered safe childcare for essential workers during the months of June and July. Licensed by the Commonwealth of Virginia, the program followed all COVID-19 health and safety guidelines established for childcare providers.
Over the summer, when it became apparent that the 2020-21 school year would include some element of virtual learning, we secured funding for teacher training. A grant from The Community Foundation will provide resources to support teachers in virtual learning best practices. With the decision by the HCPS school board to start the year in a fully virtual format, HEF will continue to raise funds to support the needs of teachers, students and families in our community. You can help us prepare for the upcoming school year by donating to the Building Strong Schools Fund. To make your gift, click the button below.
How is Henrico Education Foundation supporting HCPS virtual learning this fall?
- Partnership with HCPS to provide full-day programs at four schools. Staff members work closely with HCPS to support virtual learning
- 625 additional WiFi hotspots for students and teachers without internet access
- iPads to assist exceptional education students
- E-books to expand the number of books students and teachers can access electronically
- Staff training to assist with remote learning:
- Training for principals and instructional coaches in supporting teachers in virtual learning
- Curriculum writing support for HCPS Virtual Learning Modules
- Guest Educator Webinars for virtual teaching strategies
- Distance Learning Playbook K-12 professional resource
We are proud to partner with the Robins Foundation to ensure individual checks are making it into the hands of…Read More
HEF received a $1,000 grant from the Wawa Foundation to support “grab and go” packaged meals for HCPS students in Henrico County.
Thank you Wawa for this generous donation!Read More
Press Release re-posted with permission from Henrico County Public Schools The Henrico County community always steps up in a big way…Read More
COVID-19 Updates from Henrico County Public Schools:
- November 16, 2020 - New timeline for expanded in-person learning
- October 23, 2020 - HCPS will phase in an in-person learning option, new safety protocols, to accompany fully virtual option
- October 23, 2020 - HCPS School Board adopts plan for second nine weeks
- September 4, 2020 - HCPS will provide students with free meals in 2 ways: School curbside service & neighborhood bus drop-offs
- August 21, 2020 - HCPS partners will provide limited in-school child care for essential workers, working families
- August 13, 2020 - HCPS releases COVID-19 Health Plan
- August 5, 2020 - HCPS sets schedule for distributing more tablets, computers to support virtual learning
- August 3, 2020 - HCPS posts new FAQs with information about predominantly virtual return-to-school
- July 23, 2020 - School Board votes to adopt a fully virtual format to begin the 2020-21 school year
- July 14, 2020 - Stay informed on return-to-school options
- June 12, 2020 - Grab-and-go meals distribution, other closure-related services moving to summer schedules
- May 28, 2020 - Summer: All students will have learning ‘pathways’; Fall: 5 possibilities under consideration for return
- May 18, 2020 - 2020-21 registration: Online portal opens for kindergartners, other new HCPS students
- May 11, 2020 - Graduation Celebration 2020
- May 8, 2020 - Henrico Schools adds site for ‘grab and go’ meals distribution at Lakeside Elementary School
- April 29, 2020 - Henrico Schools distributes Chromebooks to elementary families in need of home computers
- April 22, 2020 - 2020-21 early learning preschool application is available now
- April 17, 2020 - With teachers, or independently, ‘Henrico Edflix’ offers distance learning in a fun, flexible format
- April 3, 2020 - LifeReady On-Demand Learning Plan
- March 31, 2020 - Grading: New information for HCPS students and families
- March 24, 2020 - Schools are closed for 2019-20, but HCPS’ ‘Questions’ page will provide latest updates
- March 23, 2020 - Schools ordered to close for remainder of 2019-20 school year
- March 18, 2020 - Henrico County Public Schools and offices will be extended for an additional two weeks (through Spring Break)
- March 18, 2020 - Henrico County Public Schools will add 8 more sites for ‘grab and go’ meal distribution.
- March 17, 2020 - Mobile hubs at four HCPS high schools will distribute Wi-Fi hot-spot devices, repair division-issued laptops.
- March 15, 2020 - The HCPS Department of Family and Community Engagement, along with the Department of Equity, Diversity and Opportunities, are joining forces to accept donations for Henrico families in need. Donations will serve students and families as supplemental food and supplies on weekends during the HCPS closure period for coronavirus. The donations are designed to complement the distribution sites for student “grab and go” meals on weekdays. Read the full news release
- March 15, 2020 - Many Henrico County students depend on school meals as a crucial part of daily nutrition. Henrico County Public Schools will set up six student-meal sites for free "grab and go" breakfasts and lunches, beginning Tuesday, March 17 from 11 a.m.-noon.